Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Romeo and Juliet Opening / Closing!

It is not often that I blog about the opening and closing of a show simultaneously, but with only two performances of Santa Fe Springs Playhouse’s production of Romeo & Juliet it seems necessary. I am grateful for the opportunity to bring Shakespeare to the community of Santa Fe Springs and perform the beautiful venue of Heritage Park. I dedicated a lot of time and effort into playing Mercutio, yet it feels as though I hardly know him. This production has provided an incredible learning experience for me, challenging my skills and bringing me out of my comfort zone. Who knew that the straight-laced, feminine, little ol’ me would play a pot-smoking version of one of Shakespeare’s greatest homoerotic male characters? It was a challenge I was willing to face. I hope that during this process I achieved the openness and relaxed portrayal of wit, courage, loyalty, and intrigue that I see in Mercutio. With such a short run, it is hard to say that I reached my full potential in this coveted role, but I can say I had a great time playing with my cast-mates. Love and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment