Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

Adam Lambert.. need I say more? ;)

Everyone is allowed one guilty pleasure. Mine just happens to be Adam Lambert. I think I hold him in high regard because he is more than just a singer; he is a true performer and an actor. The first time I saw him was not on the national setting of American Idol, but at the Pantages Theatre as Fiero in Wicked. Had I come any other night I may have missed his performance as he was the understudy. I followed his story to the Idol stage, voted for him hundreds of times, and was among the disappointed when he was not honored with a win. However, in retrospect I think not winning American Idol is probably one of the best things that could have happened to his career, as he now has the freedom to be an individual and build himself as an artist. I am glad that he followed his own path and found the right moment to come out to the public. This is another reason he pulls me into his world – he is a business man and knows how to handle his career. He knows who his audience is and caters to their preferences; He has excellent marketing sensibilities. He seemed extra special on Idol, because there was a sense of mystery about him. We all knew he was gay from the start, but left it unspoken for fear it would cost him votes on the "wholesome," "all American" show (barf!). He spoke with intelligence, seemed humble but confident, and showed that he was a genuinely kind person underneath his layer of eye-liner. -Plus, I have always been a sucker for men in leather and lace. - That is not to say he hasn’t made some mistakes along the way (I will leave these unsaid, since we all know what they are and would like to forget them). His debut album “For Your Entertainment” is not the best written or most musically innovative, but in true Lambert fashion I have never seen him perform a song the same way twice. He keeps his music fresh. There is something unusually catchy about his songs and watching him perform, whether in a music video or live, is worth its weight in gold. Now that he has proven himself I think he will only get better with time. It is my hope that in his next album release we will see something truly special.




No comments:

Post a Comment