Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's the polite thing to do, you know, get a kiss/give a kiss, very fair.

I was filled with anticipation at our first rehearsal for Almost, Maine. Which characters would I be playing? What would the cast be like? Would I be able to read cold from the script? I was filled with relief to sit at a little round table in the Transit Depot with my fellow cast members and director. Michael Eiden reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss for some reason. He smoked a cigarette in his van before he came into the rehearsal space. I feel safe when he is there, like I can experiment and try new things. I am playing Ginette, Sandrine, Gayle, and Hope. Our first read-through was very exciting since all of us were reading the script as a whole for the first time. They were many discoveries made and we made them together. I love the magic in this play, the element of surrealism that gives it a fairy-tale-like quality: literally falling down with love, shoes falling from the sky, sacks full of love and tangible pieces of broken heart. All of the characters are developed, deep and relatable. The script is very challenging. I am looking forward to actually getting on my feet and putting movement to the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment