Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

"I will preach to thee: mark."


Tonight I had the privilege of attending Shakespeare Orange County’s production of King Lear. Founded by Thomas Bradac in 1992, Shakespeare Orange County is the only professional performing arts organization in Orange County solely dedicated to producing classical theatre.

I hold SOC close to my heart, as it utilized the talents of Chapman University’s faculty and students, where I completed my undergraduate training. It is always a marvel to me to walk through those iron gates at the Garden Grove Festival Amphitheatre and be greeted by so many familiar faces. More importantly, this production features Dennis Krausnick as King Lear – a founder of Shakespeare & Company, talented actor, and master teacher.

I first met Dennis at a weekend Shakespeare & Company intensive, where I receive one-on-one instruction as he helped me work through an Isabella monologue from William Shakespeare’s Measure for Measure.

Dennis not only changed the way I approached the text, but he also helped my over a hurdle in acting career where I doubted my ability to perform my craft.

I stood before him uttering the words of Isabella, “To whom should I complain? Did I tell this? / Who would believe me…” when he abruptly stopped me. “You don’t think you are good, do you?” – He emphatically stated. I started to cry because I felt that he had stared right through me into my soul and saw my fears. He put his hand on my shoulder and said, “You are good. Now tell yourself and do it.”

The following year I played Isabella in Measure for Measure with the Redlands Shakespeare Festival under the direction of one of Dennis’s colleagues, Eric Tucker. I channeled Dennis’s words before every rehearsal and every performance. It is amazing that such a simple validation could change my outlook forever.

So there I was on Thursday night, watching my mentor on stage—A man, who probably will never know what an immense impact he has had on my life—and having the most intense catharsis as Lear lost everything he held dear to him.

Together Dennis Krausnick as Lear and Michael Nehring as Gloucester bring the audience on a torturous journey through melancholy. Perhaps the most powerful moment it in this production is when the two reunited – Lear in his madness and Gloucester in his blindness. Suddenly two strong men comfort each other as s literal and figurative storm rages over their heads.



KING LEAR
If thou wilt weep my fortunes, take my eyes.
I know thee well enough; thy name is Gloucester:
Thou must be patient; we came crying hither:
Thou know'st, the first time that we smell the air,
We wawl and cry. I will preach to thee: mark.

GLOUCESTER
Alack, alack the day!

KING LEAR
When we are born, we cry that we are come
To this great stage of fools: this a good block;
It were a delicate stratagem, to shoe
A troop of horse with felt: I'll put 't in proof;
And when I have stol'n upon these sons-in-law,
Then, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill!

Shakespeare Orange County’s production of King Lear is honest and terrifying. It glimpses into the phantoms of human nature, striping each character down to the core of their humanity. This powerful production is sure to leave you breathless.

King Lear. Sept 2-18 (Thurs – Sat). All performances start at 8:15pm at the Festival Amphitheatre, 12740 Main St., Garden Grove. Tickets are $27-$32. Call 714-590-1575 or visit the SOC website for more information: http://www.shakespeareoc.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment