Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

People's Choice 2011

I was a bit perplexed watching the People’s Choice Awards last night on television. I asked myself, who are “the people”? What are they voting for and why? As I watched this novelty of an awards show, I began to wonder if perhaps that only people that voted were teenage girls.

Last night, the award for Favorite Movie went to The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, which also won the award for Favorite Drama Movie. Now, maybe I shouldn’t be judgmental because I have not seen this film, but if a cheesy vampire/werewolf teen flick is “The People’s” favorite movie of the year I start to question the values of the mass public. And let me qualify that statement by acknowledging my enthusiasm for syfy/cult greats like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Roswell (popular shows when I was a teenager).

Yet, all things considered, I suppose the other films nominated in the category, do not live up to the hype either (as much as I enjoyed Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland and Inception for their entertainment value and visual effects).

Of course, it should come as no surprise that The Favorite Movie Actress Award went to Kristen Stewart. Again, maybe I am just jealous and overreacting, buy Stewart is near the top of my Worst Actresses List. In fact, I think Taylor Swift's imitation of her on Saturday Night Live gave her too much credit. Stewart, seated in the front row with her fellow Twilight colleagues, looked awkward and uncomfortable the entire night. Even a visit from the hostess, Queen Latifa, could not loosen her up.

Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner were all in attendance to accept the award in person, to cheers from the rapturous audience. 'Eclipse' has also been shortlisted for the 2011 Razzies in the Worst Picture category.

Johnny Depp won the award for Favorite Movie Actor for his roles in Alice in Wonderland and The Tourist. Now I am a fan for Depp, especially since he took the time out of his busy schedule to accept the award in person, which seemed to be a surprise to the crowd who gave the popular actor a standing ovation for his surprise appearance – thank goodness Taylor Lautner did not follow in his co-star’s shoes and steal the category!

Favorite TV Comedy: Glee
Favorite TV Comedy Actress: Jane Lynch
Favorite TV Comedy Actor: Neil Patrick Harris
Favorite TV Drama: House
Favorite TV Drama Actress: Lisa Edelstein
Favorite TV Drama Actor: Hugh Laurie
Favorite TV Obsession: Dexter
Favorite Guilty Pleasure: Keeping Up With the Kardashians
Favorite Comedy Film: Grown Ups
Favorite Comedy Star: Adam Sandler
Favorite Action Film: Iron Man 2
Favorite Action Star: Jackie Chan
Favorite Movie: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Favorite Movie Actress: Kristen Stewart
Favorite Movie Actor: Johnny Depp
Favorite Country Artist: Taylor Swift
Favorite R&B Artist: Usher
Favorite Rock Band: Paramore
Favorite Hip-Hop Artist: Eminem
Favorite Pop Artist: Rihanna

No comments:

Post a Comment