Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sweet Margaret

Rehearsals for Edward II are coming along slowly but surely. We began blocking Margaret’s wedding night. There is so much emotional turmoil in this particular scene, I felt a little overwhelmed holding my book and frantically accessing the physical movement of the scene in an unfamiliar rehearsal space. We have a break in our rehearsal schedule, to which I will devote the majority of my time refocusing my character and memorizing my dialog. My text analysis work has prompted new discoveries about my character. I realized early on that Margaret must be a genuinely caring individual. She rarely talks about herself, expect on her wedding night, when she is faced with a life-altering, tragic situation. When others speak of her they refer to her as sweet: “Sweet Margaret,” “Sweet Niece”, “Sweet Wife”, and “Sweet Lady”. She regards the Queen as her friend and confidant, and thinks of her before all things, until the doom of her wedding night approaches. She makes the majority of her entrances “quickly” or “rushing”, “looks pale” and though Gaveston has no intimate or logistical desire to be her husband, he believes she “deserve(s) affection and regard”. I am investigating new ways to approach my objectives and work to create interesting points of attack. I am very interested to know what drives Margaret through the course of her journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment