Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"In sooth, I know not why I am so sad"

Today in class the discussions were heated. There seemed to be mixed reviews over the direction the actor playing Falstaff took in Henry IV, Part One and the use of projections in Throne of Blood. All of which were over-wrought personal opinions.

I am quite annoyed with the group today who are acting like spoiled children, but perhaps that is my illness talking. I am almost certain that I have food poisoning and am constantly nauseated – which is not the best thing to be in a crowded room. I can only hope that a visit to the local drug store will set me right.

Later in the morning Kevin Kenerly (the title character in Throne of Blood and Percy in Henry IV, Part One) joined the class for some valuable insights into his processes. I found it intriguing that he is from a humble Detroit background and has worked with the Hilberry Repertory Theatre!

At noon we attended a lecture by David Riggs from Stanford University, than enjoyed the rest of the afternoon in the park.

We attended the Green Show where I was pleased to see Alta California! They are a really fun group of musicians and singers.

Tonight’s performance of The Merchant of Venice brought a sense of humanity to the state that I find rare in productions of this play. The costumes, a mix of modern and Elizabethan dress, seemed to visually reflect how prejudice in today’s society really hasn’t changed much.

Beyond the greatness of Anthony Heald playing Shylock, there was a beautiful moment at the end that still haunts me. This production chose Antonio to show remorse for his actions, as he parted ways with Bassanio into the darkness of the final blackout. I am very interested to hear from Anthony Heald and my classmates how this choice affected the meaning of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment