Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

OSF Belongs To Its Audience

Today class was filled with discussion, most of which was long-winded, tedious and not worth recounting. It saddens me that I have not felt a deeper connection with the group.

At 12 Noon we were fortunate enough to attend a lecture by artistic director Bill Rauch. He spoke with vigor about how he played a role in choosing the current season of plays and gave us insight into the creation of cast, crew and overall production choices for the season. I can hardly believe the amount of time and the heart that is put into this company. I was most impressed when he quoted the founder by saying that OSF “belongs to its audience.”

I had the immense pleasure of seeing Pride and Prejudice. Kate Hurster stole my heart as Elizabeth Bennet, and Elijah Alexander came in as a dark knight as Mr. Darcy. I was immediately transported to a romantic world filled with wit and eloquence. The costumes were picturesque. This is the only adaptation I have seen on the stage, but it is the standard to which I will compare all other productions.

We ended the afternoon by visiting the first folio at the New Theatre, Mom was a bit bored with this final event, not understanding that she stood over one of the most pristine surviving copies of the folio but I was pleased to see it for the second time.

Now we are taking the time to visit Aunt Marsha and Uncle Brian before we return to the theatre tomorrow for Hamlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment