Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I turned the last page of The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. When my work club chose this novel for the month of March I kicked and screamed the whole way. I couldn’t imagine an entire novel from a dog’s point of view being anything but a major drag. But after the first few chapters I changed my tune.

I read this book in 4 hours! I have laughed, cried and been dragged through a complete emotional journey. I would recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain to anyone and everyone! Pick it up and you will not be able to put it down.

Publisher Comments:

Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.
A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment