Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What's in a play?

I am finally among the privileged few honored with the care of reading the unpublished new play Transfigured Night by Todd Rew. I have been advocating for Transfigured Night ever since its existence became known to me. Considering it is atypical of me to become so involved with a blind project, it is a relief to finally have a script in my hands.

Before turning the first page I had a premonition that this script may be a piece of greatness. This revelation surprised me. After all, in a world filled with half-fledged ideas, the phrase “original play” often produces sighs and shudders. In the theatrical world there exists a plethora of poorly written one-acts and feeble attempts of ingenuity. Yet, somewhere in my gut, I have known for months that this play would be different.

First, Todd has magically written a full length play (and an epic one I might add) about composer Anton Webern – If that isn’t an inspired idea I don’t know what is! “Who is Anton Webern?” Well, since you asked let me tell you the very little (practically miniscule) amount of information I know about this Austrian composer:

Webern, with Alban Berg, was a pupil of Arnold Schoenberg in Vienna, moving in style to atonalism (music without tonality or key centre) and then 12-note music or surrealism (music based on a series of the 12 semitones or half-steps of the modern scale). He wrote music of brief concision and often of extreme delicacy. His influence on later composers has been considerable.

Confused? Don’t worry, so am I – but at the core, the idea to write a play investigating the family, music and tragic death of Anton Webern is genius. Not only has it not been done before, but it is a subject matter that I think people will generally connect with and care about. Maybe Todd will make Webern a household name – Okay, I may be getting ahead of myself, but I cannot retain my composure.

After reading the script I found myself experiencing a myriad of emotions. I knew Todd to be a true and honest artist, but little did I know what an impact this play would have on me. Not only am I fascinated by the historical context, but I am intrigued by the deep routed characters. I feel very emotionally connected to Anton and his wife Minna. I think this is only the beginning of the greatness to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment