Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

"Don’t give them a Punch and Judy show villain."

I recently read an interview conducted with Sir Ben Kingsley, whom I consider one of today’s greatest actors. He is currently promoting his new film Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, a Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster film based on the popular video game. In the midst of actors like Shia Labeouf creating controversy by bashing their own films – here is Sir Ben Kingsley showing the next generation of actors how to handle all their roles with grace.

“I do the same job. The background alters, and where the camera is placed, and the effects around me. But I am doing the same job. I serve Nizam as if Nizam was written by Shakespeare and he was called Richard III."

“Why waste my time trivializing a character or a film?” he continued… “If I trivialize it, it’s going to spoil three, four, five months of my life. Instead, I consciously think to myself, ‘Aim high, aim very high with Nizam. If the kids are going to come and watch it, let them see Richard III from Shakespeare. That will make them go, ‘Wow.’ Don’t give them a Punch and Judy show villain.”

To this I say, thank you Sir Ben Kingsley, for being a true knight of the stage and film, and serving art with honor. You are an inspiration to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment