Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mumford & Sons

My lovely roommate, Courtney, possesses an ear and fantastical knowledge for music, which she continued to strengthen in my mind by introducing me to the band Mumford & Sons. Marcus Mumford, Country Winston, Ben Lovett, and Ted Dwane complete this West London band developed in the winter of 2007. Mixing the musical qualities of country, bluegrass and folk, their strong rhythms pounded at my heart.

I listened to the title track from their debut album, “Sigh No More”, inspired by Shakespeare's language in Much Ado About Nothing: "Love it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you / It will set you free / Be more like the man you were made to be."

Much of the album seems conceptualized from several of Shakespeare's plays: "White Blank Page"-Othello, "I Gave You All"-King Lear, "Little Lion Man"-Coriolanus. I cannot wait to purchase the entire album and bathe in their acoustic melodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment