Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2005

A bottled spider

Today was very eventful and exhausting here in Ashland, Oregon. After attending “Waking Up with Shakespeare” from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM, I went to a concert in Carpenter Hall. I tapped my feet on the linoleum floor and read along with the translation as the musicians sang and played Spanish songs from early Mexican American history. The concert was titled “Alta California!” and was a pleasant distraction to pass the afternoon.

At 2:00 PM I attended the matinee performance of Richard III. I am very impressed with the agility of the actor playing Richard III, James Newcomb. He moves around the stage on crutches, back hunched and legs carefully negotiating the space. I sat next to my instructor, who mouthed almost every line along with Newcomb.

Dr. Black told me at intermission that Richard III looked like a crab. I disagreed – to me he looked like a mechanical spider. He is even referred to as a “bottled spider”. Either way, the imagery was powerful.

I was a little put out that Margaret was given extra lines in this production, as well as extra appearances. Others in my group felt otherwise though, saying it was a nice touch. I just find it unnecessary.

The most memorable moment of the production is when Richard III is crowned king. He comes on stage with a long velvet red cape. It flows like a river of blood behind him as he comes down the progression of stairs up-center. I think I will forever compare this scene to every production of Richard III I see from this moment on. It is the most powerful ingle image I have experienced with Shakespeare thus far, in the visual imagery and spectacle of theatre.

At 6:05 PM Nicole and I went to see Must Love Dogs. It obviously doesn’t compare to the theatre, but I actually found it to be one of the best romantic comedies of the season.

At 8:00 PM we attended Room Service. I found the production very funny and almost laughed myself into tears several times throughout the evening. There is so much constant commotion that I almost want to see this production again, for fear I may have missed a few key elements. My stomach still hurts from laughing. A woman sitting behind me laughed so hard that after a while she could only snort! This made me laugh all the more! I am so happy that after the tragedy of Richard III, I could end my evening on a happy note.

No comments:

Post a Comment