Pages

Monday, August 1, 2005

Car rides & King’s Corner

Today I arrived in Ashland, Oregon with my good friend Nicole. It was a long drive through Northern California, but well worth the hardship. I drove most of the way. Nicole is still a new driver behind the wheel and although she shared some of the burden I was content to drive the majority of the way.

We arrived at Southern Oregon University just a little past 3:00 PM. Our room in Cox Hall is small but seems pleasant. The beds are pushed up against the wall with a window between them. White sheets and a grey wool blanket look surprising lavish after our long journey.

As we batted at a fly that had made its way through the open window, many interesting people marched through the hall. We left our door open in hopes that a friendly passerby would find us interesting too. Most of the people who pass simply gap at our antics to shoo the fly out of the room, and continue down the hall without a word. We finally resorted to killing the fly, which was much more efficient.

I situated my things and suggested to Nicole that we might want to explore the town. She agreed and we left our room to find ourselves back in the car again! We made a few wrong turns but finally found the festival grounds. I awed at the Elizabethan Stage and observed the tall black windows of the Angus Bowmer Theatre. I found our classroom at New Place, between the Black Swan and the New Theatre. I pressed close up to the glass and shaded my eyes to look in the window of the Tutor Gift Show, wondering what treasures await me inside.

Most of the shops on Siskiyou Boulevard are closed for the night. Nicole picked a small sandwich shop called The Greenleaf to have dinner. We indulged ourselves in a sandwich and a cool drink. We have since returned to the dorm for the night.

A few games of King’s Corner quickly tired me. I am ready to melt into bed and dream of the adventures that await me tomorrow. I bought some postcards in town today, but have decided to save them a few days so that I may write to my loved ones of the plays I have seen and the people I have met. Thirty-two cents a stamp and thirty-five cents a postcard is a small price to pay to give a piece of my happiness to my friends and family. If only all joy could be so affordable.

I go to bed hoping that my class tomorrow, “Wake Up With Shakespeare” will be all that I think it will and more than I expect. Goodnight. Tomorrow I will be watching Napoli Milionaria at about this time and dreaming fresh dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment