Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2005

Braggart Don Armado

I was surprised in class today when some of the adults (I say this with a grain of salt) did not share my enthusiasm for Room Service. I thought it was very enjoyable after a long day at the theatre. But I suppose it may not be everyone’s cup of tea.

After class Nicole and I went to the Folio Viewing. The Folio I saw is one of the few privately owned Folios (I believe one of two), and is from the collection of Paul G. Allen. It was opened to Love’s Labour’s Lost, to a scene of Don Armado’s. His character’s name is abbreviated “Amor,” but later is abbreviated as “Brag”. Someone told me that the change is due to his braggart-ness. I starred at the Folio under the glass and longed to touch the pages. It is very lovely.

In the evening I saw my first production on Ashland’s Elizabethan Stage. Love’s Labour’s Lost was absolutely magnificent tonight. I can think of only one word to describe it: magical.

The costumes and words where so rich with color that they literally took my breath away. The actors are very skilled in making clear moments and delivering thick layered words with ease. It is amazing to me how such a complexity of words can frame the nature of love and still reach the common man. O timeless Shakespeare!

No comments:

Post a Comment