Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2005

"He does it with a better grace, but I do it more natural."

I had a wonderful day today. I am so glad that I got to see Belle’s Stratagem. It is very witty and humorous. I found all of the costumes wonderful. The masque in Act Two combined imagination with historical costumes of the time.

Nicole and I finally made it for a walk in the park after the show. It was still too hot to walk a great distance, but we stopped for a subway sandwich and ate our lunch by one of the pounds. There we met two very friendly ducks. I named them Berowne and Dumaine. Nicole and I started feeding them, which was probably the wrong thing to do because then they wouldn’t leave us alone.

Speaking of Dumaine! Christopher DuVal came to class this morning. He plays Dumaine in OSF’s Love’s Labour’s Lost as well as Leo David in Room Service and Sir Andrew Aguecheek in Twelfth Night. Nicole and I were just discussing him last night and concluded that he was our favorite actor of the week. It was a pleasure to have him in class. I am very fond of him and glad to have personally met him – which seemed to only add to my enthusiasm for him.

In the evening we saw The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe. Based on the Faust legend, a man seels his soul to the devil in exchange for power and knowledge. The script focuses on the decay of spiritual beliefs over material gain, and the concept of Fate. Two versions of the play are known to exist. One written in 1604, is possibly an abbreviated version performed during Marlowe's lifetime. The second appeared in 1616 and is one third longer. It is speculated to be either an adaptation, or the full length origional.

I have to say it disappointed me, as well as Nicole. While there were certain moments that captured my imagination - "Why this is hell, nor am I out of it," Mephistophilis says of Earth. - I found the characters poorly written. The production value of the production is exceptional, but there was still something missing. I did not connect to the characters the way I felt I should have. It was all about spectacle, rather than humanity and religion. Perhaps in class tomorrow, others will explain its “greatness” to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment